No-one should have to suffer violence, the threat of violence or other harassment from a partner, former partner or relative.

If you are living with a violent or abusive partner it is possible to apply to the Court under Part IV of the Family Law Act 1996 for an order effectively removing the violent or aggressive partner from the home. Injunctions can also be taken out prohibiting the aggressor from using further violence or threats of violence and it may be possible for there to be a Power of Arrest attached to the terms of any such order enabling the police to arrest and bring before the Court anyone acting in breach of the order. Applications for injunctions are to protect vulnerable people and children.

Support, counselling and housing assistance are also available from organisations and charities such as Women’s Aid (for women and children) and Broken Rainbow (offering support to gay men and lesbians).